Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Home Improvement

So I am posting this on a "parenting blog" which I know seems strange at first -but it makes sense to me. You see, I painted every single one of these cabinets. And changed the hardware. All while I was working full time and mommy to a 7 month old.  

This still amazes me when I look at the photos.




This kitchen makeover, at first glance seems drastic, but really all this is is some fresh paint, new hardware, new fixtures and furniture.  Yeah, that's it. But in reality that was a LOT of work.  The time we owned our house overlapped for one month with our rental apartment 45 minutes away. To try to conquer this project, while being a mom, I removed all the cabinet doors and drove them back to our apartment. I spent the month cleaning, sanding, priming and painting each one during nap times and after bedtimes. As the doors were finished, on the few saturdays that we actually had a sitter for a few hours, I would work on the on the cleaning, sanding, priming, and painting of the bases of the cabinets at our house (45 minutes away). I had some help one of the days (shout out to S and E!) but other than that- Holy pajamas that was a big project!!!

So, as we have just started to look around at new houses, in an area that will only allow us to buy a fixer again, I see these kitchens that leave something to be desired, to say the least.  I know it can be done because I've done it before. I'm just not sure I want to again! I have two kids and we are very busy but more importantly I was blind with ignorance the first time. I dove into the project unknowing.  I was excited for what seemed like a simple fix. 

Now I know the dark, dark truth. :-) 
Even simple paint is a lot of TIME and WORK. Do I have it in me again at this stage of the game?

The fixtures were put in over time by my husband and once that was done, and on the occasions that it is actually clean (which is rare with kids), it looks good! And looking at this photo does give me a sense of accomplishment which is irresistible to someone like me.  I'll keep you posted when the home search becomes more real as to whether or not I see hours of painting in my future again.  But in the meantime my mantra must be, "Home improvement IS possible"-- even in the throws of the first few years of parenthood.

At what age can the kids hold a paint brush and a hammer themselves and start earning their keep! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment